GestureDB: Querying Beyond Keyboards
Database Architecture for Next-Generation Interfaces
Computing devices that use non-traditional methods to interact with data are becoming more popular than those that use keyboard-based interaction. Applications and query interfaces for such devices pose a fundamentally different set of workloads on the underlying databases. We characterize these differences and show how today's query representation and evaluation techniques are not well-suited to these new non-keyboard interaction modalities. We propose a new database architecture to address these issues.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. IIS CAREER 1453582. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
- Arnab Nandi: Querying Without Keyboards: CIDR 2013 (Vision Track: Best Paper Award) [pdf] [concept video]
- Lilong Jiang, Protiva Rahman, Arnab Nandi: Evaluating Interactive Data Systems: Workloads, Metrics, and Guidelines: SIGMOD 2018 (tutorial) [pdf]
- Protiva Rahman, Courtney Hebert, Arnab Nandi: Enabling Effective Data Interaction for Domain Experts ICHI 2019 [pdf]
- Codi Burley, Arnab Nandi (2019). ARQuery: Hallucinating Analytics over Real-World Data using Augmented Reality. CIDR 2019 [pdf]
- Protiva Rahman, Courtney Hebert, Arnab Nandi ICARUS: minimizing human effort in iterative data completion. VLDB 2018 [pdf]
- Juan Felipe Beltran, Ziqi Huang, Azza Abouzied, Arnab Nandi: Don’t Just Swipe Left, Tell Me Why: Enhancing Gesture-based Feedback with Reason Bins: IUI 2017 ( Best Paper Honorable Mention ) [pdf]
- Meraj Ahmed Khan, Larry Xu, Arnab Nandi, Joseph Hellerstein: Data Tweening: Incremental Visualization of Data Transforms: VLDB 2017 [pdf]
- Meraj Ahmed Khan, Larry Xu, Arnab Nandi, Joseph Hellerstein: DataTweener: A Demonstration of a Tweening Engine for Incremental Visualization of Data Transforms: VLDB 2017 [pdf]
- Arnab Nandi: Casual Querying: Information Dissemination in Ad-hoc Environments: CIDR Gong Show 2017 [pdf]
- Lilong Jiang, Arnab Nandi: SnapToQuery: Providing Interactive Feedback during Exploratory Query Specification: VLDB 2015 [pdf] [video]
- Lilong Jiang, Arnab Nandi: Designing Interactive Query Interfaces to Teach Database Systems in the Classroom: CHI 2015 (Work-In-Progress) [pdf] [slides]
- Arnab Nandi: Breathing Life into Database Textbooks: CIDR 2015 (Extended Abstract) [pdf]
- Jiongqian Liang, David Fuhry, David Maung, Roger Crawfis, Lynne Gauthier, Arnab Nandi, Srinivasan Parthasarathy: Data Analytics Framework for A Game-based Rehabilitation System: SDM Workshop on Data Mining for Medicine and Healthcare 2015 / ACM Digital Health 2016 [pdf]
- Ziqi Huang, Juan Felipe Beltran, Azza Abouzied, Arnab Nandi: Beyond Binary Gestures: Exploring Documents using Touch Interfaces: CHI 2015 (Work-In-Progress) [pdf]
- Arnab Nandi, Lilong Jiang, Michael Mandel: Gestural Query Specification: VLDB 2014 [pdf] [slides] [video]
- Lilong Jiang, Arnab Nandi, Michael Mandel: GestureQuery: A Multitouch Database Query Interface: VLDB 2013 (demo) [pdf]
- Arnab Nandi, Michael Mandel: The Interactive Join: Recognizing Gestures for Database Queries: CHI 2013 (Work-In-Progress) [pdf]
- Manish Singh, Arnab Nandi, H. V. Jagadish: Skimmer: Rapid Scrolling of Relational Query Results: SIGMOD 2012 [pdf] [slides]
- Blog post about Gestural Databases is featured on the ACM SIGMOD Blog!
- gestureDB prototype was presented at the 400 W Rich Market in Columbus: